Thursday, May 17, 2007

JFK and the massive new tome

The release of the new JFK assassination book by legendary and logically thorough prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi, will no doubt bring the CN's (conspiracy nuts) out of their woodwork again. 1600 plus pages in length, it aims to be the somewhat last word on the case. How many people will actually read this massive project is probably minimal, but a cursory glance already reveals a completely readable text wth a lawyer's precision for the process. Already the CN's have begun their verbal and tired denunciations. What they ask of all of us who do not subscribe to some aspect of their multi layered theories, is that we willfully suspend any rational thought in thinking about the case. What they fail to do is provide any solid proof to their reams and reams of conjecture. This book will not be the last word, as conspiracy theorists are never satisfied. It is in their DNA. No one in a seemingly complicated world wants to believe in the randomness of society. Conspiracies are complex, much like we want to believe our existence really is. A single gunman, or a simple plot only underscores the arbitrary nature of life. I symphathize. I used to be a less disingenous conspiracy sympathizer. I wanted to believe in a conspiracy. I love the speculation of the "who done it" and I understand for arguing against the lone nut theory. It provides at least a explanation in a world full of uncontrollable forces. In a world of chaotic disorder, order is desired by most of us. Conspiracy thinking solves a larger issue. The Cubans, the Mafia, the CIA? Fascinating stuff but ultimately unconvincing. Reason took a hold of me years ago and would not let me go. I want to believe, I just can't be persuaded by the same, tired old theories. I am also one who loved Oliver Stone's JFK. A masterpiece of speculation and film editing. But I also realize that it is fiction, useful and entertaining fiction, but fiction nonetheless.

No comments: